– Inhale deeply through the nose and exhale out of the mouth. 3 x
– Inhale deeply through the nose for a count of 4, hold for 7 seconds (if comfortable), exhale for 8 seconds (if comfortable). 3 x
– Inhale deeply and raise one arm, lower the arm and exhale. Repeat with the opposite arm.
– Inhale deeply and raise both arms, stretch to both sides, exhale.
– Inhale deeply and raise both arms, and lean forward as you exhale and stretch the legs and lower back. Let all of your stress fall out of your fingertips and head onto the floor, and let someone else sweep it up! Slowly come up…this can make you dizzy.(You can do this from standing position or from a chair.)
-Pretend you are holding a balloon in front of your stomach. As you breathe in blessings, allow your hands to form a larger balloon, as you exhale, allow your hands to go back toward one another as the pretend balloon deflates. Also as you exhale, blow out stress and tension. Make an audible noise “whoosh” as you exhale. Repeat 3 x and each time allow more blessings in the balloon and for the balloon to become larger and whoosh to become louder.
– Pretend your index finger is a dandelion. Inhale and as you exhale blow all of the seeds off of the dandelion. 3x
– Pretend your index finger is a birthday candle. Inhale and as you exhale blow out the flame on the candle. 3x
– Breathe slowly and naturally as you roll your shoulders around to the back. Repeat at least 5x. Reverse.
– Hands together in front and clap and say “ho, ho, ha, ha, ha” on each clap. 3x
– Repeat “ho, ho, ha, ha, ha” clapping, but this time say it very loudly, and stomp your feet. 3x
– Repeat and clap your hands over your head. 3x
– Repeat and clap very slowly and softly and say “ho, ho, ha, ha, ha” in a hushed voice and breathe out the haaaaa. 3x
– Hold hands together in front of body as if praying. Clap now from thumb to pinky and pinky to thumb, one finger at a time. Say “ho, ho, ha, ha, ha” on each finger clap. Repeat thumb to pinky, pinky to thumb, 3x.
– Drop your head forward, roll shoulders forward, bend knees slightly and say “Clark Kent” then stand tall with head up and arms pointed straight above head toward the sky and say “Super Man.” 3x
– Place hands on ears, leave teeth apart, lips together, inhale and hum for as long as you can. You will sound like a bumble bee. This is to tune out the world. Try it again with eyes closed. 3x
*Only do what is comfortable for you. If anything causes pain or is not comfortable please stop and do not try it again. None of these simple exercises should cause pain or even strain. The goal is to relax, reduce stress, and hopefully you will laugh, or at least smile!
I have over 5000 of these exercises. I can adapt for any age, stage, or ability. This is great fun for ice breakers or relaxation techniques for organizations, parties, or individuals.
Laughter is good medicine!
Chaplain Kim Crawford Meeks